Tax Payment Deadlines
- First half due date: December 20 (Send stub on left with payment)
- Second half due date: May 10 (Send stub on right with payment)
NO SECOND HALF STATEMENT WILL BE MAILED FOR THE MAY
PAYMENT. STUBS FOR BOTH PAYMENTS ARE ATTACHED TO THE STATEMENT.
- Full Payment: Send both stubs with payment
*** If the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, the taxes are due the next business day. Payments must be received on or before the due date to avoid penalty. ***
Ellis County Treasurer
718 Main St
PO Box 520
Hays, KS 67601
- Real Estate: First half tax becomes delinquent if not paid by December 20. Interest accrues until tax is paid. If the total tax remains unpaid for three years the property being taxed becomes subject to a tax foreclosure sale by the County. The property then can be sold at public auction. Property owners of the property being sold at auction may not bid at the auctions.
- Personal Property: First half tax must be paid by December 20 or the tax becomes due in FULL. Interest accrues on the full amount if the first half is not paid by December 20. Any unpaid personal property taxes are sent to the Sheriff in January of the following year for collection. When using the payment in half option, if the second half payment is not received by May 10th of the following year, the second half uncollected personal property taxes are sent to the Sheriff within one month after the second half deadline of May 10th.
Personal property includes: boats, campers, trailers, non-highway vehicles, oil, mobile homes, jet skis, 16/20M trucks and etc.
- Delinquent Tax: Delinquent tax years are listed on the statement in the upper left hand corner. For the amount due on prior years please contact our office at 785-628-9465.
Acceptable Payment Methods –
- Check, money order, cashier’s check, etc.
- Credit/debit card (with a 2.5% convenience fee)
- Online tax payments - https://www.kansas.gov/propertytax/
- Official payments - https://www.officialpayments.com/index.jsp
- ACH or escrow account options
- Escrow accounts through Ellis County
- These accounts can be set up to set aside money monthly for motor vehicle renewals or property taxes
- We can either do a direct pull from your designated bank account on the 5th or 20th of the month or you can choose to have a coupon book
- If you are sending in a renewal or tax payment and want to use your escrow account, please note that on the paperwork