Renewal of License Plate Registration


New Residents
Welcome to Ellis County.
New resident motor vehicle owners must register their vehicles in the local County Treasurer’s Office in which their vehicles are garaged.  Military and full-time college students may register at either their legal residence or where they are stationed.  New residents are allowed 90 days to re-register their vehicle once they have established their new residence.
Documents required:

1. The owner must provide the original out-of-state title or if the title is being held in another state, the lienholder may fax to the local County Treasurer, a copy of the front and back of the title.  The Ellis County Treasury fax number is 785-628-9470.
A Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) is required from the Kansas Highway Patrol.  The Highway Patrol requires:

A. The vehicle,
B. Title (or a faxed copy-certified from the Treasurer’s Office),
C. The owner’s driver’s license,
D. $20 cash
The Highway Patrol is located at 1821 Frontier Road in Hays.  Their hours for MVE-1 examinations are Monday thru Friday, 9:30-12:00 noon.

3.  Proof of Kansas current active liability insurance.
4.  A lien release if the vehicle lien is paid off. (Notary may be required, depending on the state)

Changing ownership will require additional information.  Please call the Ellis County Treasurer at 785-628-9465 or email at