Commercial Vehicle Hours: Tuesday – Thursday 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Helpful Information for Commercial Vehicle is found at TruckingKS.org
What are commercial motor vehicles?
A commercial vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle engaged in commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:
- has a gross vehicle weight or gross combination vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more or
- is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver or
- is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.
Your vehicles are operating in furtherance of commerce if any of the following apply to you:
- Money earned is declared as income from a business for tax purposes;
- Costs for the underlying activities are deducted as a business expense for tax purposes;
- Products and/or money is accepted for advertising a sponsor;
- The transport vehicle is being used in the furtherance of a commercial operation.
All farm vehicles are exempt from commercial vehicle registration requirements.
If your commercial vehicles are intrastate, or stay within the state of Kansas, you may register them at our office. If your vehicles fit the definition of a Commercial Vehicle, are engaged in the furtherance of Commerce and do not fall under one of the exemptions, you need a US DOT number.
If your commercial vehicles are interstate, or travel both inside and outside of the state of Kansas, you will have to obtain a US DOT number and register them at one of the following county offices that offer IRP (International Registration Plan):
- Anderson County
100 E 4th Ave
- Greeley County
- Haskell County
300 S Inman
- Lane County
144 S Lane
- Marshall County
- Riley County
110 Courthouse Plaza
- Smith County
218 S Grant
Smith Center, KS
- Stafford County
209 N Broadway
St. John, KS
- Wilson County